Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How Hard Could It Be? Installing a Chrome Extension



Last post I talked about using and navigating the Google Chrome extension page. This week I'm going to actually attempt to install a extension. Even as I write this, I know that I'm not completely happy with the right click dictionary that appears if you misspell a word and then right click on it.

I'm going to test, some what live, if I can find and install and extension that fits my need. Come with me! It's extension installing time!


I started by going right to the search and trying "improved dictionary". Nothing, so I tried "dictionary", "spell check" "spell check" still nothing. I was so sure that this would exist, but maybe not.

And then I saw it! An extension I didn't know I wanted, but I do now! One of my biggest pet peeves is going to a site tries to disable right click. Sure I could just view the page source, but that can be a major pain.
Well I didn't find exactly what I wanted, but this will do. Let's install "Allow Right Click" After I click on the link, I don't hit the install button right away. I'm wary enough of open source software to know that it is sometimes broken, loaded with bugs and spyware, or has a lot of other issues. The comments look OK, and it has a high star rating, plus 800+ install it a week. Looks like a pretty safe bet.

Now to hit that big bright blue install button. Less than 5 seconds later, the extension was installed.

That was really easy, though truthfully after the seamless install of Google Chrome I expected as much. I didn't even have to restart my browser like I do in Firefox.

I thought it was interesting to try and learn more about this extension and the author.

Interesting links I found include:
All of this is hosted on code.google.com

Next post I'll give you a brief overview of the dev world found inside Google Chrome, and then give you quick wrap up of my experience. I hope you've enjoyed. I've really enjoyed using Google Chrome.


No comments:

Post a Comment