Thursday, November 4, 2010

Stopping Google Chrome Pop-Ups

Well, it's been about two - three weeks since I've installed Google Chrome, and for the most part, I'm still really enjoying the experience, but there are a couple small (and one big) problem that has really stood out.

My first problem came with pop-ups. After a few days with Chrome, I realized that I was starting to see pop-ups on sites I normally didn't see them at when I used FireFox. This included sites like KansasCity.com, and others that were getting adds served from a particular add provider.

This was really annoying! I looked at Chrome's specs, and yes indeed, it was supposed to come with a built in pop-up blocker. Annoyed, I did a couple of Google searches and ended up on Google Chrome support forums.

There I learned a lot of people were having the same problems, and Google was rather unresponsive other than to say "We are aware of the problem and working on it."

And then, the benefit of open source and having a large and technically skilled user base was made clear. Google told people that, in the meantime, they should use an add-on that a skilled user had created. I installed "Better Pop Up Blocker", and all of a sudden the pop-ups stopped! Problem was, they stopped for everything, include small JavaScript pop-ups that any online rich text editors uses.

I'd gone from no protection, overkill, and it took me quite a while to figure out why. I'd never really counted the functions of rich text editors as a pop-up before.

Once I figured it out, I would just turn it off when I realized it was happening. Unfortunately, I broke my only Chrome for a Month at home experiment when I couldn't get a SLIM post up.

I turned to FireFox and posted to the message board. I'm sorry Google Chrome. Will you ever forgive me?

No comments:

Post a Comment